For full attendance and participation for 31 October 2017, please complete the following
1. Read Jeffrey Cohen’s “Undead (A Zombie Oriented Ontology) and watch Walking Dead, Ep. 2
2. Watch the video lecture below
3. Complete your assigned portion of the Collaborative Invention Exercise in your team Google Doc
Part II. Class Plan Video
The video covers the following topics:
1. Housekeeping:Submission Stuff
2. Overview/explanation of Cohen’s Essay
3. Brief application of Cohen’s ideas to Walking Dead
4. Overview of what to expect for Thursday, Nov 2
Zombie Oriented Ontology and The Walking Dead
I review the answers to the following questions during the video overview of Cohen’s essay:
1. What does Cohen say he thinks the ghost he saw in his dream wanted from him? OR, what is the “source of her wrath” (397)? What is your assessment of the “personal narrative” as an opening rhetorical gesture?
2. What is speculative realism, also called object oriented philosophy? How are zombies, and not ghosts or vampires, ideal expressions of this sort of philosophy?
3. What are some reasons Cohen gives for the zombie’s “recent ubiquity” (402-404)?
4. How do zombies function as allegories for both “the dehumanized who return,” as well as the “dominating ethos” (405), which produces and profits from dehumanization? How do zombies perform, in Cohen’s formulation, “every signification of the word ‘consumer'” (405)?
5. How do zombies challenge the idea that human bodies are subordinate to an idea of personhood or subjectivity? Or how does a show such as The Walking Dead, illustrate “the inhuman agency that resides in the pieces and substances that we totalize for a while into a body we call ours” (407)?
Application: So what? How/why do Cohen’s ideas help us to read the Walking Dead in general and in terms of our course theme?
Part III: Collaborative Invention Exercise
Your final project teams are listed below. For this assignment, click on your name/team link, which directed you to a Google Doc. Please note you have each been assigned a specific freewrite question that asks you to apply Cohen’s terms/insights to Ep. 2 of the Walking Dead.
Organize yourselves into groups according to the first few letters of your last name, and then groups 1 & 2 can meet in the front corners, group 3 in the middle, and groups 4 & 5 in the back two corners:
Once in your groups, introduce yourselves to one another, share the images you brought to class, choose the two you find most engaging, and then respond to the following questions drawing on the key terms from WOVENText (Emphasis, Contrast, Organization, Alignment, and Proximity):
Be prepared to discuss your findings.
1. Notice the organization of elements on the page. What comes first? What comes last?Why do you think the designer(s) chose this order?
2. How is contrast used on the page? Does the use of contrast help to emphasize certain elements? Does the use of contrast provoke an emotional response in the audience? (Maybe consider how color affects emotion)
3. What elements are aligned on the page? Does this alignment help you make connections between the data represented? Does it cause your eye to travel in a certain direction on the page? Why do you think the designer made the choices she did?
4. How are elements positioned in relation to one another? Why do you think designers of the image put certain elements in proximity to one another and other farther apart?