26 Sept. Division.
Featured Image: The Main Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms
2. Choose “Public” if you haven’t already
3. Cut and paste the public URL
4. DO NOT just copy and paste the URL from page on which you made the VR. If you do I can’t read it.
Part I. Background
Part II. Discussion
- 1. Are the kingdoms already divided? If yes, so what? If no, so what?
- 2. Why does Lear divide his kingdom? How does he decide which sister gets which portion of land?
- 3. How much does Gonoril love her father? Does Regan improve Gonoril’s speech? Is it possible to love someone as much as they say they love their father? How much does Cordelia love her father?
- 4. Does Cordellia take the contest for the biggest portion of the kingdom too seriously? Do you think she should have won the contest? Why doesn’t she?
- 5. What are some consequences of Lear’s curse (1.100-12)?
- 6. What does Kent mean when he says, “Think’st thou that duty shall have dread to speak/When power to flattery bows?” (1.136-7). Is Kent out of line? Does he misread and/or misspeak in court? Or, are his criticism warranted?
- 7. Does Lear do Cordelia a favor by disowning her?
- 8. What’s the gist of the sisters’ discussion at the close of the scene and after Lear has exited the stage? Does their conversation challenge or support your initial reaction to them? Why do you think Shakespeare bookends Scene 1 with two, informal, conversations adjacent to the throne room?